Parts and Suppliers
Sources for clock parts and related parts.
Clock Mechanism Suppliers
- Klockit has raw clock parts.
- The Takane tide clock adds a reduction stage to the output of a more-or-less standard mechanism. It consists of a stack of gears in the ratio 57:58:59, thus reducing a 12 hour period (solar half-day) to 12h+25.2m (lunar half-day, tidal period). The 58 tooth gear is visible hanging below the main assembly. By running this mechanism at half speed, the hour hand corresponds to sun position and tide hand to moon position. Alternately, it may be possible to add the tide stage to an existing 24-hour movement for the same effect.
- American Time has a wide variety of clock mechanisms, including network clocks, AC clock motors, and more
- ClockParts carries movements, motors, dials, and hands, similar to Klockit.
- Norkro also carries primarily quartz movements.
- Bearwoods carries quartz movements with a focus on wooden clocks. They have a nice guide on choosing your clock hands.
- Clockworks has mechanical and spring driven movements, in addition to quartz movements. They also carry electric clock motors for AC clocks.
- Esslinger has clock and watch movements.
Concentric Shaft Dual Stepper motors
If you want to make a clock with independent hands, you need one of these. You can make your own, or buy one of these: